The best movies, ever.

For anything not related to our current topics.

The best movies, ever.

Postby Ninja-jzak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 am

Thought it would be interesting to debate our personal favorite movies of all time. I know there are a ton of movies that I enjoy watching over and over -- and at any given time, I would be willing to watch any of the following movies. Everyone has a certain genre of movie that they find themselves attracted to -- I'm all for movies that make you think and challenge belief systems. My top five movies, in no particular order, are ...

American History X. A really graphic, really powerful experience. If you watch that movie and can walk away without a least a little pause, then there is something seriously wrong with you. The movie makes people come face-to-face with topic that most would rather ignore.

Dead Poets Society. Not a huge action flick or superhero movie, but one with a really good message and interesting character development. I can watch this movie over and over without growing tired of it.

Rocky Balboa. Many critics would disagree, but to heck with them. I grew up watching the Rocky movies with my dad, and considering my grandfather was a boxer and my father was a huge boxing fan growing up -- he even attended some of boxing's biggest matches -- the Rocky movies have a special feel for me. Rocky Balboa, the most recent serving of the Rocky franchise, isn't as hard-hitting as Rocky IV's Ivan Drago or colorful as Clubber Lang, but does a good job reminscing on the Rocky franchise while tying up the loose ends. It also has some good underlying meaning.

The Usual Suspects. A gritty crime movie with some sweet twists and great acting, this movie will always remind me of my college days -- where we discovered this movie and watched it about a zillion times. As with American History X, this isn't a movie for younger viewers.

Rounders. I could easily list many of Edward Norton's movies somewhere on this list, but Rounders and American History X are my favorite two. Matt Damon plays a college poker player on the rebound, and there is great acting and some strong messages about redemption involved. Again, not really a kid-friendly movie.
Ninja-jzak
Captain Grade 3
Captain Grade 3

Re: The best movies, ever.

Postby jakyl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Are you really asking this question John? What kind of sadist are you? Making people choose just 5? I will exclude any of the "classics", and obvious answers even though the ones I list are classics to me. These would also change from day to day, so this really can't be called a top 5 list. Here are 5 movies I think kick major ass, in no particular order:

Reservoir Dogs
Boondock Saints
Memento
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Fight Club
jakyl
Corporal Grade 2
Corporal Grade 2

Postby Ninja-jzak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm

By the way -- a sleeper movie that most people may not have seen, but should, is Primal Fear. One of Edward Norton's first roles, and a movie that really makes an impact. I wonder how many Law & Order shows the storyline of Primal Fear helped to inspire.
Ninja-jzak
Captain Grade 3
Captain Grade 3

Postby jakyl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Ninja-jzak wrote:By the way -- a sleeper movie that most people may not have seen, but should, is Primal Fear. One of Edward Norton's first roles, and a movie that really makes an impact. I wonder how many Law & Order shows the storyline of Primal Fear helped to inspire.

John, to help cure you of your unhealthy man-love for Ed Norton, watch Keep the Faith. It will help, lol. Honestly though, Ed Norton is the man.
jakyl
Corporal Grade 2
Corporal Grade 2

Postby Ninja-jzak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:56 pm

jakyl wrote:
Ninja-jzak wrote:By the way -- a sleeper movie that most people may not have seen, but should, is Primal Fear. One of Edward Norton's first roles, and a movie that really makes an impact. I wonder how many Law & Order shows the storyline of Primal Fear helped to inspire.

John, to help cure you of your unhealthy man-love for Ed Norton, watch Keep the Faith. It will help, lol. Honestly though, Ed Norton is the man.

I did watch Keep the Faith -- and then had to watch every other Ed Norton picture about fifty times each to get the memory out of my brain. Of course, every actor has a crap movie. Keep the Faith is Ed Norton's "Don't Mess with the Zohan."
Ninja-jzak
Captain Grade 3
Captain Grade 3

Postby Ninja-ep » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 pm

My list of faves rotates as often as the Broncos backfield, but my five right now:
Wedding Crashers
The Matrix
Fight Club
Old School
Shaun of the Dead

Ask me tomorrow and I'll include Bull Durham, Dodgeball or The Departed.
Ninja-ep
1st Lieutenant of the Ninja Corps.

Postby Jay-Mo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm not a big movie guy, nor do I pretend to be, but I've always favored "Swingers"
I still watch it at least once a month ...
I believe it's Vince Vaughn's best work. I've actually used, so have a few of my buddies, several lines from the movie to score some chicks from the bar. Granted they were bar flies, but hey, when you were 21-23, did it matter?
Jay-Mo
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Postby ryder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:08 am

Wow John,Picking my top favorite 5 is like asking which one of your children you want to give away.l.o.l.Heres my top 5 in no particular order.

1-Rocky 3
2-The Usual Suspects
3-What Dream May Become
4-Sleepers
5-The Shawshank Redemption

*Any movie with Cuba Gooding Jr. in it.l.o.l.(Thats just a joke,Jake would uderstand that one)
ryder
Private 1st Class Grade 3
Private 1st Class Grade 3

Postby Ninja-ep » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Resevoir Dogs, Swingers and The Usual Suspects
Thumbs up.
Ninja-ep

Postby Ninja-jzak » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:20 pm

ryder wrote:Wow John,Picking my top favorite 5 is like asking which one of your children you want to give away.l.o.l.Heres my top 5 in no particular order.

1-Rocky 3
2-The Usual Suspects
3-What Dream May Become
4-Sleepers
5-The Shawshank Redemption

*Any movie with Cuba Gooding Jr. in it.l.o.l.(Thats just a joke,Jake would uderstand that one)

Long live the Shawshank -- definitely a movie that should be on every person's top movie list.
Ninja-jzak
Captain Grade 3
Captain Grade 3

Next

Return to Off-Topic